DR. DILRUBA CHAWDHURY
BLUE ECONOMY RESEARCHER
Building a career with a wide range of knowledge and specialization in blue economy, rural development, rural livelihood, women empowerment, natural resources management, environment, climate change, health, ecosystem, bio-diversity and mobile industry and willing to be involved- in advocacy, research and development in home and abroad.
I have more than 18 years of experience in teaching-both at university and college level, research and consultancy services, project management as well as an economist. I have specialization in Blue Economy. I have authored 3 books on blue economy which are being used by different universities, organizations and researchers in Bangladesh. I am experienced working with the government, international/multilateral donor-funded projects/programs and missions including, GOB, World Bank, CARE, ADB, DFID, BIMSTEC etc.
I hold a Ph.D in Economics from Jahangirnagar University with specialization in development economics, research methodology of different disciplines, socio-economic studies, impact and evaluation studies, and sustainable development issues. My academic background has enabled me to develop interpersonal and organizational skills with diverse background in the wider aspect of micro and macro economics including financial performance and viability of the organization, economic and social cost benefit analysis, development economics and poverty dynamics, health economics, agriculture economics, resource economics, urban economics, environment and natural resources development, forests and fisheries management; coastal and marine ecosystems; livelihoods diversification; and protection of environmental degradation. I worked both in the rural and urban areas in health, population, education, community development, gender development, poverty alleviation, income generation and other activities. During my professional career, I have successfully completed many assignments. I worked with a multi-disciplinary team of consultants in different projects where responsibilities include development of research design, sample selection, preparation of data collection instruments including PRA tools, conducting socio-economic survey and monitoring of data collection, data analysis and report preparation. I have successfully attended various workshops, seminars and training programs on PRA, monitoring and survey.
Worked as Socio-Economist from December 2018 to April 2019 for providing Consultancy Services for Impact Evaluation Study “Construction of a Concrete Grain Silo at Mongla Port Project”of IMED, Ministry of Planning, Bangladesh. Socio-Economist on research project ‘Sustainable Development Goals: Women Empowerment through nursing and midwifery in Bangladesh (2018-2019) Social Science Research Council, Ministry of Planning, Bangladesh. Economist at Environment & Resource Analysis Center Ltd. from March 2018 to May 2018 for providing Consultancy Services for “The DPP Preparation of Sustainable Forests & Livelihoods (SUFAL) Project” funded by World Bank. Socio-Economist at House of Consultants Ltd. (HCL) from February 2018 to July 2018 for providing Consultancy Services for “Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study for Rupkalpa-2 Drilling Project at 1 District (Semutang South-1, Upazilla: Manikchari, Dist.: Khagrachari)”. Socio-Economist at HCL from July 2017 to August 2017 for providing Consultancy Services for “Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of Kutumbpur to Meghnaghat Gas Transmission Pipeline Project”. Assistant Urban Economist at HCL from June 2015 to December 2016 for providing Consultancy Services for “Preparation of Development for Package-5, Ramu Upazila, District: Cox’s Bazar, & Rangunia Upazila, District: Chittagong under “Preparation of Development Plan for Fourteen Upazilas”. Socio-Economist at HCL from February 2014 to April 2014 for providing Consultancy Services for “Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study for Rupgonj Oil/Gas Exploration Well Drilling Project at Rupgonj, Narayangonj”. Socio-Economist at HCL from February 2013 to June 2013 for providing Consultancy Services for “Environmental Impact Assessment Studies for Begumganj Well #3 under Drilling of 5 (five) Wells of BAPEX. Socio-Economist at HCL from January 2009 to March 2009 for providing Consultancy Services for “Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) of Gas Distribution Network in South Western Region of Bangladesh”. Socio-Economist at HCL from May 2007 to July 2007 for providing Consultancy Services for “Impact Assessment of Project Intervention of Barisal, Patuakhali, Jhalokathi & Barguna Small holder Support Project” for Department of Agricultural Extension. Sociologist-cum-Gender Specialist at HCL from January 2003 to May 2003 for providing Consultancy Services for “Five Feasibility Studies of FCDI Projects under BWDB namely Arial Beel Development Project”. Socio-Economist at HCL from March 2002 to September 2002 for providing Consultancy Services for “Feasibility Studies of Five New Projects under BWDB, Namely: Bakkhali-Guptakhali-Boalia Project; Meghna-Titas Flood Control Project; Torki-Gournadi-Bamrail Flood Control Project; Kushiyara-Bijna Improvement project and Baintala-Banstali Flood Control Project”, etc.
- Post Doctoral Research, University of Malaysia, Perlis (ongoing since 2019)
Topic:Financing Blue Economy in Bangladesh: Lessons Learnt from Malaysia
- Ph.D. in Economics, Jahangirnagar University (2017)
Topic: The impact of rural telecom on rural livelihood in Bangladesh.
- M.Sc. in Economics, Jahangirnagar University, 1997 (Exam held in 2000), Second Class
- B. Sc (Hons.) in Economics
Jahangirnagar University, 1996 (Exam held in 1998-99), Second Class
- H.S.C: Begum Badrunnesa Govt. Girls’ College. Dhaka, Science Group, 1993,1stDivision
- S.S.C: Mirpur Bangla High School. Dhaka, Science Group, 1991, 1stDivision
- Journal Article 1:C. Dilruba(2018). “Mobile Phone Usage and Livelihood Asset in a Developing Country, Bangladesh”, published in “Australia and New Zealand Journal of Social Business, Environment and Sustainability” (ANJSBES) Volume-4,Issue-1,April 2018,ISSN 2206-4346, www.anjsbes.net.au
- Journal Article 2: C. Dilruba, (2018)”Mobile Phone and Status of Food Intake by the Study Group in Bangladesh”, published in “Australasian Journal of Business, Social Science and Information Technology”. (AJBSSIT), Volume-3, Issue-4, January,2018, ISSN 2206-4451, www.ajbssit.net.au
- Journal Article 3: C. Dilruba, (2018) “Constraints and Potentials of Fish Markets in Chittagong City: A Case Study of KazirDewari Bazar”, published in Journal of Applied Science ISSN 1812-5654, DOI: 10.3923/jas., https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=jas.2018.138.145
- Journal Article 4:C. Dilruba (2017) “Livelihood Outcomes and Income Generation in a Developing Country, Bangladesh”, published in “Australian Journal of Accounting, Economics and Finance” (AJAEF),Volume-3,Issue-1,April 2017,ISSN 2206-480X, www.ajaef.net.au
- Journal Article 5:C. Dilruba (2017) “Impact of Rural Telecom on Women Empowerment: A case study of Bangladesh”, published in “Australian Academy of Business and Economics Review”. (AABER),ISSN 2205-6734(print), July 2017, www.aaber.net.au
- Seven (07) more Journal Articles on Blue Economy are in the process of publication by SAGE Journals.
I have authored the following books:
- “The impact of rural telecom on rural livelihood in Bangladesh” published by Academic Press and Publishers (APPL), February 2018. www.rokomari.com, www.amazon.com
- “Blue Economy: Prospects and Challenges of Marine Fisheries of Bangladesh” published by APPL, April 2018. www.amazon.com, www.rokomari.com
- “Blue Economy: Prospects and Challenges of Marine Renewable Energy of Bangladesh” published by APPL, October 2018. www.amazon.com
- “Blue Economy: Prospects and Challenges of Marine Tourism of Bangladesh” accepted by Asiatic Society, March, 2019 in Bangladesh. (in-progress)
ARTICLES & INTERVIEW WITH MEDIA
- Interviewed by Bangladesh Betar on the concept of Blue Economy (November, 2019)
- Interviewed by Radio Tehran on Blue Economy (19 September, 2019)
- Interviewed by Radio Tehran on the health benefits from Blue Economy (18 March, 2020)
· বাংলাদেশে ব্লু-ইকোনমি সম্ভাবনাময়: ড. দিলরুবা চৌধুরী, Pars Today, 19th September, 2019
- Impact of Modern Silo in Bangladesh, The Asian Age (4thAugust, 2019)
- “নজর দিতে হবে সাগরে”, The Dhaka Times (11thJuly, 2019)
- “নবদিগন্ত থাকলেও বরাদ্দ নেই বাজেট এ”, Daily Amader Somoy (17 June, 2019)
- “বাজেটে ব্লু-ইকোনমির জন্য বিশেষ বরাদ্দ প্রয়োজন”, Daily Amader Somoy (11 June, 2019)
- “সবার আগে চাই সমন্বিত সমুদ্রনীতি”, The Daily Samakal (2nd June, 2019)
- “বিদ্যুৎউৎপাদনেরঅপারসম্ভাবনাবঙ্গোপসাগরে”, The Daily Nayadiganta (31 May, 2019)
- “বাজেটে বরাদ্দ না থাকায় সামুদ্রিক সম্পদ থেকে বঞ্ছিত হচ্ছে দেশ”, Daily Amader Somoy (15 May, 2019)
- “ব্লু-ইকোনমির জন্য বাজেট রাখার তাগিদ”, Dhaka Times (15 May, 2019)
- Overseas Training Course on “Maritime Spatial Training for Bangladesh” conducted by Ministry of Commerce, China, (Course Duration:160 hours).
- Teaching Learning Methods and Techniques, Institutional Quality Assurance Cell, Uttara University, Dhaka, Bangladesh (Course Duration: 8 hours).
- Teacher’s Training Course for Young Learners, Khazra FL Institute Tehran, Iran, 2013 (Course Duration:36 hours).
- Participatory Action Research (PAR), University of Pretoria, South Africa, 2007 (Course Duration: 21 hours).
- Household Economic Analysis (HEA), Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1999 (Course Duration: 21 hours).
- Research Methods and Techniques, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1998 (Course Duration: 21 hours).
Fellowship for 02 years Research Project “Sustainable Development Goals: Women Empowerment through nursing and midwifery in Bangladesh” (2018-2020), Social Science Research Council SSRC, Ministry of Planning, Bangladesh.
Fellowship for 01 year Research Project “Economic Policies and Development in Bangladesh during Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s Government” (2019-2020) Social Science Research Council SSRC, Ministry of Planning,Bangladesh
Jahangirnagar University General Scholarship for 03years (1994-1996). One from each Department.
Jahangirnagar University General Scholarship for 03years (1994-1996). One from each Hall.
PRIZES AND MEDALS
Awarded a lot of prizes for athletics and literary competitions during student life.
- Keynote Speaker at “National Beach Cleanup-2020” organized by Save our Sea at Cox’s Bazar on 25 February 2020.
- Attended Seminar on “Dhaka Global Dialogue” November, 2019 jointly organized by BIISS & Observer Research Foundation, India
- Attended Seminar on “Blue Ocean Economy: Options and Challenges for Bangladesh” at CIRDAP Auditorium organized by Bangladesh Institute of Law and International Affairs (BILIA) on July 29, 2017.
- Attended Seminar on “BIMSTEC and Regional Connectivity: Bangladesh’s Opportunities” at BILIA Auditorium organized by Bangladesh Institute of Law and International Affairs (BILIA) on March 27, 2017.
- Presented Paper on “The Economic Impact of Road Connectivity: Challenges of BIMSTEC” in the CUTS-BIMSTEC International Conference on “Facilitating Connectivity in Bay of Bengal Region” held on 11 April, 2017 at the BIMSTEC Secretariat.
- Attended the Seventh BIMSTEC Roundtable Meeting titled “Integration in the Bay of Bengal: Importance of Connectivity” held at the BIMSTEC Secretariat on 18 August 2016.
- Attended at the Eighth BIMSTEC Roundtable Meeting titled “Rewriting the Rule Book of Regional Connectivity” held at the BIMSTEC Secretariat on 06 March 2017.
- Attended Seminar on “Bangladesh and Regional Connectivity” held at BILIA Auditorium organized by Bangladesh Institute of Law and International Affairs (BILIA) on April 16, 2017.
- Attended Seminar on “FGD and Non-Tariff Barriers in Bangladesh to Agricultural Imports and Exports” at the Golden Tulip Grandmark Hotel, Dhaka, arranged by USAID on September 24, 2017.
- Attended Seminar on Second International Blue Economy Dialogue “Promoting Blue Economy: Making the Best Use of Opportunities from the coasts, Seas and Oceans” at Hotel Pan Pacific Sonargaon, Dhaka, organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on November 22-23, 2017.
Travelled to USA, Canada, Saudi Arabia, India, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, Botswana, UAE, Iran.
HOBBIES AND INTEREST
Oil Painting, Ikebana, Handicrafts,
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
Member, Asiatic Society; Member, Bangladesh Economic Association; Life Member, Jahangirnagar University Alumni Association; Life Member, Foreign Office Spouses’Association; Member, Bangladesh Institute of Marine Research & Development (BIMRAD).
Tel: +88-02-41080206, Cell: +88 01951808780, +8801727199130, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org